Friday, March 16, 2012

Shine

Jupiter (left) and Venus (right) came very close together in the sky this week. When I looked up, I couldn't miss the two vivid points of light piercing through the night. It reminded me of the song "Shine" by Salvador:

"Lord let me shine, shine like the moon,
A reflection of You in all that I do.
Lord let me be a light for Your truth;
Light of the world, I wanna be used to shine for You."

These planets (and the moon) emit no light by themselves. But being in the presence of the sun transforms them into reflectors of its magnificent glory - even in especially in deep darkness.

When I'm enduring trials, I sometimes feel like the solitary moon, full of craters and imperfections, unable to provide any light on my own. However, these planets remind me that Jesus, the light of the world, is glorified when He is reflected, even by an isolated orb going about its daily path. Size and strength are of no importance, as "tiny" Venus shines brighter than giant Jupiter. Proximity is all that matters. The closer we come to Him, the brighter He will shine to those near us.

"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."
2 Corinthians 3:18

No comments: